Sunday, May 2, 2010

The reason I started this

So I gave you all a background about me and my testimony yesterday and wanted today to talk about the reason I decided to start a blog like this. My first thoughts of doing a blog was when I was talking to a really close friend of mine. She is the same age as me and attends a Lutheran University. I was startled when we were talking about a new guy she was talking to and was so impressed by how he could talk about his faith. She then preceded to talk about how after 3 years being at this Lutheran college he was the first guy that would actually talk about his faith.

This is when the question popped up in my head why don't (not only guys) we talk about our faith more openly. I am not saying this is everyone and I hope this isn't you, but there are way to many of us doing this. So Why is this?

Why do we keep this gift to ourselves?
Are we embarrassed by it?
Are we afraid of questions about what we say?
Are we just going through the motions?

Those are just a few of the questions that popped into my head when she was explaining this situation. And to tell you the truth I did not really talk about my faith much until a few years ago. Was I embarrassed by it? Sometimes I was. Depending on the group of people I was with I didn't want to be known as the "Christian boy" I wanted to be "cool".

Was I afraid of questions about what I said? Heck yeah and sometimes I still am. It is something that I try to get over, but I do see times where I just won't say anything. Its kinda like when your in that class and you just sit in the back and be quiet because someone may doubt your answer and you have nothing to prove it. I went to a Lutheran school for 16 years of my life and I still have problems backing topics up. I work on that everyday but I will never have all the answers and no one will. What is so wrong with saying I don't know but let me get back to you and I'll research it. We just need to be confident in what we believe and admit we are human and don't know everything.

Am I just going through the motions? Not now but I was for a large part of my life so far. It was something I did just because my family did it and when the topic of Christianity came up I would just try to change the topic as quick as I could.

Those are just a few of the questions we need to ask ourselves. And we need to learn to deal with feeling confident in our faith. When I went on a mission trip the Spring Break of '09 the speaker showed a clip of penn and teller which has always stuck with me. When I can find the clip again I will post it on here. It is amazing that Penn a very well known athiest says near the end of the clip this gift that has been given to you (Eternal life) how can you not tell others about it. I feel after watching that you as a Christian have to feel almost guilty for not speaking about your faith.

It is not hard to strike up a conversation with a person about the Red Wings game the night before but we can't talk about God. It is something I deal with everyday and a struggle I know I will prolly never get over.
I hope that all of you can go out and be confident in your faith and not be afraid to tell others about that awesome gift we have been given. We do it with everything else we get at Christmas so why not do it with the reason we even have Christmas. Just something to think about. If you have thoughts or questions on this let me know I would love to talk.

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment